Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Letter from November 26, 2012

   Thanksgiving was great but unfortunately the work was pretty slow with the holiday. Both our wards on Sunday were near empty (I guess Vegas isn't the place to be for Thanksgiving) and for sacrament meeting one of our wards just sang hymns. We weren't able to meet with Kendal, Dray or Gina and Micah for the interview. We were however able to visit the Ha'o family and help them with their Christmas decorations! Also random side note while we were out making visits we saw our mail lady with her kids putting up lights so we now know where she lives. The Turkey Bowl this last week didn't end up going in our favor as our team tied one game and got creamed in the other two, and it certainly didn't help that we were playing against a zone that had a BYU football player on it who was 6'8" and could catch anything they threw his way.
 
   This transfer has been flying by for me and it's crazy to think that I could be in a new area in less than two weeks. I've grown attached to Red Rock and it's going to be hard to leave, but if I do get transferred I'm hoping they send me out to the boonies. I love Las Vegas but I feel a bit claustrophobic not being able to drive out of our little bubbles, and it's going to be weird not having area boundaries I have to stay in after the mission. I hear that there are some farming communities in our mission so I'd be pretty down for being sent out there for a while.
  
   The work is beginning to really pick up as we approach December and everyone is feeling the Holiday joy. The last couple of weeks we've been focusing on inviting people to the Nativity which has been really successful for us. We have a number of investigators and less actives who plan on attending and we'll be there to help usher on two of the four nights. Just last night we stopped by an investigators home to invite her out to the Nativity and we ended up getting even more than we hoped for. Our investigator had a friend over who had stopped coming to church but really opened up to us and wanted to come to the Nativity and to sit in on the lessons we'll be teaching. This just testified to me that there are many people in the church who are ready to come back into activity but just need someone to help them back.
 
   We had a temple trip today which is why our P-Day was moved to Wednesday rather than our usual Monday P-Day. The temple was a great experience and I love the spirit that the visit brings into our lives even as missionaries. I also discovered some neat features to the Las Vegas temple that I did not know about from my last visit. Throughout the grounds surrounding the temple are these brick patterns along the walkway, well every now and then you come across a circle of bricks on the ground. When you stand in the center of the circle and speak it sounds like your voice is being magnified by a dome or speaker system which is pretty neat! Well anyways it was a good day and we've got a couple of lessons set for tonight. I hope that you are all doing well and recovering from any injures that might have been brought about from ward Turkey Bowls. I love you all and keep you in my prayers! Love,
Elder Keller Reeves

No comments:

Post a Comment