Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Letter from September 10, 2012

This past week ended up going great as we hoped it would. My companion and I continued to lead the zone and finished the week with 20 lessons,received some great referrals and found some more investigators! We also found out from Keanu's 18yr old sister that she wants to start taking the lessons as well which is so awesome! This week did however have a downside as result of me getting a little carried away during companionship study. We were reading over the missionary handbook in which we came across the section about personal health and using the missionary health guide to assist you in maintaining a healthy life style. My companion stated that he didn't even think he had the book so I grabbed mine and out fell a rubber resistance band for working out and also happens to make a wonderful slingshot..... Long story short I wound up behind the sling shot that was set in the hall way between two doors (BAD IDEA). I grabbed the closest thing to me which was a battery (REALLY BAD IDEA) and lightly launched it across the room which deflected off our night stand and went through our window! I then had to go to the office and inform them that I broke our window. All in all it was not a very fun day and I was given an estimate of $310 to fix the window. Now believe it or not this story does get a little bit better....But not very much. That night after coming home my roommates informed me as I walked in the door that they had found me a new window and I ran to the room to find two windows that were no where near the size or style of window that I needed. So the next morning I went through the phone book and found an ad for a window replacement company that looked promising and I called them up to come over and give us their estimate for the damages. I was so relieved when they came and said they could do it for $180. We then asked them if they could use the other windows we had been given and as result were able to get another $20 off which now means I'm down to about half the price of the original estimate!!! The company is supposed to come today to replace the window and hopefully all goes well. Who would have ever guessed that I could burn through all my money that fast in the mission. Haha well I should be able to make it through but I will be living off my Ramen Noodles for quite a while.
My companion and I were able to do some real service this week and went over to the Warburtons to help them with their garden. It was a great experience and brought me back memories from the farm work this last summer. I'm still so happy I got to meet the Warburtons and be a part of their conversion the big news for them now is that we are trying to get their 18yr daughter more involved with the lessons and with coming to church. She's been extremely busy with school and hasn't had the time for or the interest in the church. We really hope that she'll change her mind and at least let us begin to teach her the lessons.
We also picked up a new golden investigator this last week who I'm sure will get baptized but we sadly handed him over to our roommates who are over the singles ward seeing as how they are more likely a better fit for the young man. I'll continue to let you know how our other new investigators progress and can't wait to share how things pan out for the other half of Keanu's family. Our 3 other investigators we had set to get baptized this month are still solid but because of scheduling issues we had to push their baptisms back a week.
In regards to the movie the 'Best Two Years' I would love to watch it again now that I'm on my mission and see how accurate it really is. Also the Warburton's are beginning to look into the "Cheesy Mormon Films" that our family so loves and I provided them with some suggestions to look into.
I love the stories you guys share with me and would love to hear even more. Oh and what's this thing about Dave's public bathroom experience!?!?
Well I love you and wish you the best,
Elder Keller Reeves

No comments:

Post a Comment